Monday, May 14, 2012

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1)
Title: A Great and Terrible Beauty
Author: Libba Bray
Genre: YA Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Rating: 3.5
This was not a bad read, but it wasn't particularly great either. I probably had too high of expectations going into it though.  Historical fiction, mixed with fantasy, and a touch of romance; a bit too good to be true.  The characters didn't particularly click with me, but maybe that's because I never understood the popular and annoying 16 year old mindset. They just seemed like the type of people at school I would have avoided at all costs, but maybe that was the point of the book; to show the snotty kids perspective?  Whatever the case, I will probably try and finish the series at some point because for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I'm curious.  Maybe the next ones will be better?

Overview:
After a terrifying vision and the murder of her mother, Gemma's life is changed forever.  She is sent to boarding school in England after a life in India and discovers the difficulty of fitting in, making friends, staying true to herself, while also learning about a dangerous secret Order and her connection to it.  A gift she didn't know she had also appears and she must learn how to manage it. However, a mysterious young man has followed her from India to England to warn Gemma against using this new gift she has discovered, but should she listen? Gemma faces many difficult decsions, but will she make the right choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment